Increasing Passion for God
#1 -- Personal Time With God.
- "If God is going to light a church on fire, He will do it through people who are on fire…and we can’t be on fire if we’re not drawing close to Him on a daily basis." ~ Perry Noble
- To infuse your passion with God’s power, daily surrender your heart’s attention & affection to God… acknowledging God’s authority over your life.
- "Any day not surrendered to the authority of the Holy Spirit will automatically be lived in the flesh." ~ Beth Moore
- Peter got out of the boat because He was sure He heard the Master say, “Come.” (Matthew 14:27-29)
#2 -- Celebrate what God is Doing.
- Listen and celebrate the spiritual stories and milestones of those around you to fuel passion.
- Surround yourself with music, books, podcasts, and other media that focus on life change.
- Share your victories and defeats with others, then pray over them. ~ 1 Peter 5:7 / James 5:16
#3 -- Serve Others
- Mark 10:45, "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and give His life as a ransom for many."
- Dr. Karl Menninger was asked, “What would you advise a person to do if he felt a nervous breakdown coming on?” Most people expected him to say, “Consult a psychiatrist” because that was his profession. [Instead]… Menninger replied, “Lock up your house, go to the older side of town, find someone in need, and do something to help that person.” Most people who focus all their attention on themselves do so because they feel that they’re missing something in their lives… “Generous people are rarely mentally ill people.”
#4 -- Don't Take Yourself So Serious
- Keep a sense of humor.
- Let down your guard and really worship as if you were the only one in the room.
- Do your BEST and then fully rely on Christ. His power is greater than any persuasive word, program, or performance! ~ 1 Corinthians 2:4-5
- It's not about us. God has greater plans for ministry than we do. ~ Ephesians 3:20
#5 -- Rattle the Cage
- Sometime we need to make changes to breed a fresh perspective. John Maxwell said, “if you always do what you’ve always done then you’ll always get what you’ve always got!”
- Think through how someone else would approach the same situation. Ask them for help if you can.
- Tell someone when you have a "passion leak" instead of waiting until the next time you are asked.
What are some other ways to increase your passion for God?
Fri, April 1, 2011