Family Game Plan
Putting together a Family Game Plan allows us to define Biblical core values and watermark priorities for our family. No one plans to fail, but are we going to resort to simply doing the best we can in the moment?
After much prayer and searching scripture, we identified nine themes. I modified this idea from concepts in a business book by Patrick Lencioni called Frantic Family. We try to meet weekly and discuss our progress based on a simple "stop light" coding system.
Green = good / Yellow = needs work / Red = missed it
Everyone in the family gets a chance to honestly evaluate themselves and then everyone talks about how we can do better in the coming week.
We have experienced several benefits from practicing a weekly family meeting....
- It opens and maintains strong lines of communication within the family.
- It has allowed us to bring any hidden heart conditions to the surface to deal with without being in the emotion of the moment.
- As parents, it has helped us maintain standards of discipline as we point back to these as a basis for warnings and punishment.
- It has allowed us to celebrate the successes of others in the family.
- It allows us to laugh together. We like to share a meal around Americas Funniest Home Videos and then discuss the Family Game Plan during the commercials.
How about making your Family Game Plan and posting it on the refrigerator.
Here is a copy of ours to get your started... __FAMILY GAME PLAN.pdf
Posted on Sat, May 14, 2011
by Josh McClary