Baptism Celebration on Sunday, 9/7/14, 5pm @ 118 Hawthorne Place!
WHAT IS BAPTISM?
- Baptism is a symbol of my identity with Christ.
- Baptism is an outward sign of an inward commitment
- Baptism doesn’t make you a believer; it demonstrates that you already believe.
(We are saved by faith…Eph 2:8-9)
- The Greek word "baptizo" translated as “baptize” literally means "to dip (immerse, plunge, dunk) under water.
WHY SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED?
- To Follow The Example Of Jesus
“Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan (River) to be baptized by John. As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." Matthew 3:13, 16-17
- Because Christ Commanded It
"Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”
Matthew 28:19-20 (The Great Commission)
"Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven.” Matthew 10:32
- It Demonstrates That I Really Am A Believer
There are numerous accounts in the book of Acts of people who became disciples of Christ. In every instance, the sequence of events is that they first believed and then were baptized.
“…many of the people who heard him believed and were baptized.” - Acts 18:8
“We know that we have come to know Him if we obey his commands.” - 1 John 2:3
WHAT DOES BAPTISM SYMBOLIZE? As I am baptized the physical act of immersion is a picture of three things I believe as a Christian.
- What I Believe About Jesus: that Jesus died on the cross in my place…for my sin…was buried, but three days later was raised from the grave. (I Corinthians 15:1-4)
- What I Experienced In Becoming A Christian: It pictures outwardly what happened to me inwardly (spiritually) -- that old way of life is dead and I have been raised to a new life in Christ. (Romans 6:1-6) "Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things have passed away; behold, new things have come." II Corinthians 5:17
- What I Believe About My Future: As surely as God raised Jesus from the dead on that first Easter, we too shall be raised to be with Him for eternity. John 6:39, 40, 44: Three times Jesus promises that He will raise up (resurrection) those who belong to Him. I Corinthians 15 This entire chapter is about the resurrection Jesus was the first (20) and then those who believe in Him (23).
Sun, September 7, 2014